Monday, February 04, 2008

 

Back to Drakensberg

So this past weekend I went to Drakensberg again, which is a mountain region about 4 hours south of Johannesburg, on the border of Lesotho. Lesotho is the tiny little country in the east of South Africa...it's entirely surrounded by South Africa. Jackie and I went a few weeks ago to try to go on a tour into Lesotho but it rained and we couldn't go. So I decided to go again to see if I could get better weather and get to see Lesotho. I arrived Friday planning to go on the tour on Saturday. Unfortunately there was a bit of a scheduling problem so I decided to go on a bit of a photography tour around the area on Saturday and then Lesotho on Sunday.

On Saturday I went on a hike at Cathkin Peak park and went over to Sterkspruit Falls. It isn't a really big waterfall but it was off in the middle of nowhere and I was the only one there. (click to enlarge photo)


Then I went back on a drive up to Cathedral Peak. The neat thing about that drive is that it gets very very "authentic" as you go. It is a bit rural and it is very very interesting to see how folks live in this area. The houses are in "kraals" which are groupings of housing buildings, for usually extended family, and most if not all have the traditional round huts for cooking and or traditional activities.

Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]