Friday, January 11, 2008

 

Zanzibar pt II - Swahili Beach Resort

Okay, so I have to say...being a Canadian who really doesn't like snow and cold weather, a trip to Zanzibar is definitely a great way to spend Christmas. I stayed at the Swahili Beach Resort. The resort is more a lodge set up as it's too small to really be a resort. it's run by two young Americans, Anna and Ted, who's brother in law, a Zanzibarian, own the resort.

The resort is on the southeast of the island right next to Kizimkaze, a fishing village, about an hour from Stone Town. This picture is pretty representative of the surroundings on the way to the resort. The houses are very similar to the houses we saw in Drakensburg in South Africa...a wooden frame wall, filled with rocks then mudded over.



The place is less than a year old and it was fantastic. It has a main building, a restaurant and pool area and the actual accomodation are beautiful bungalows. Here is the resort from the beach from the beach and the bungalow I stayed in.


And here are some stunning pictures of the beach...it's a fishing village and the tide goes in and out twice a day. The fishermen leave their boats anchored and they rise in the water or beach at low tide. Really one of the most breathtaking views I have ever seen.


A big reason people go to Zanzibar is to snorkel with the dolphins. I decided to go and had a great time. I got off to a rough start though--I got stung by a jelly fish the first time in the water. I didn't see it at all and only felt it when it was stinging me like crazy on my right forearm and thigh. I had no idea and tried not to panic, and the boat captain, Suliman, said it was no biggie, they were white rather than blue so I'd be alright. I had a row of maybe 6 stings and welts that look sort of like giant mosquito bites the size of a quarter across my thigh. Two weeks later, the welts are gone but the sting marks are still there. I was hesitant to get back in the water but the dolphins are really beautiful and I figured I'd be careful and try to keep an eye out for them. There was this couple from Norway on the trip and I figured I'd just follow after him and he would have cleared the way. Plus the jelly fish sometimes have visible electric blue eyes and I kept my eye out for them. I didn't get stung again luckily and we swam with up to 15 dolphins another 3 or 4 times. It was amazing and probably something I will never get the chance to do again. I didn't take my camera with me as I didn't have a rugged/water one and I didn't want my good digital to get wrecked in a motor boat--but here are pics that are pretty representative of what it looks like. The ones we saw were probably about 25 feet from us. Truly stunning.

Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]